Updated Wed, May 30, 2012 5:53 pm
After the most successful season in Ohio Bobcat athletics history, its time to reflect on the year that was for Bobcat sports. The WOUB Sports staff and The Bobcat Sports Showcase crew have put together a few dozen of the best plays and moments of the entire year.
Take a look at what the compilations of touchdowns, dunks, spikes, and saves and then let us know what you think. Tweet at The Bobcat Sports Showcase (@BobcatShowcase) with the hashtag #Showcase10 to let us know what your favorite plays or moments were from the 2011/12 season. We'll tally the votes in the coming weeks and then reveal the fans' favorite Bobcat moments of the year.
But for now, here is the "Year in Review" of Ohio athletics (in order of appearance in video):
- Ryan Boykin's catch and bulldozer touchdown run against Kent State.
- Jen McGill's 9 saves against North Carolina in the Sweet Sixteen of the field hockey NCAA Tournament.
- Ohio volleyball's exciting five set win over Central Michigan at the Convo.
- TyQuane Goard's ally-oop jam off an inbound pass against Bowling Green.
- Donte Harden's beast-mode kickoff return against Marshall.
- Jensen Painter's 52-game on base streak.
- Jake Madsen's 24-game hit streak.
- Ivo Baltic's spin move against North Carolina's Jon Henson in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament.
- Dj Cooper's ridiculous three point shot against Akron in the MAC Championship as time on the shot clock ran out.
- Lavon Brazill's over the shoulder catch against Temple, keeping his toes in, oh by the way.
- Ohio softball's record five home runs in a single game against Dayton.
- Lauren McClary sets the single season strikeout record for Ohio softball.
- Tenisha Benson taking the game over in Ohio's upset of Bowling Green.
- Mose Denton's sack on fourth down against Miami, sealing the win for the Bobcats over the rival Redhawks.
- Ohio volleyball's domination of Miami; the Bobcats did not lose a single set to the Redhawks.
- Juli Accurso's record setting season for Ohio track and field.
- Lavon Brazill passing Taylor Price for the record for most career completions in Bobcat football history.
- Tyler Tettleton's touchdown pass to Donte Foster with 1:41 left in the game to give Ohio the 35-31 win.
- Ohio baseball's walk-off win against Miami in the last series of the season.
- Ethan Newton sets the all-time career steals record for Ohio baseball.
- After 24-years at the helm, Joe Carbone coaches in his final game as the Ohio baseball head coach.
- Dj Cooper sets the all-time assists record for Ohio basketball.
- Lavon Brazill's one-handed catch in the back corner of the end zone against Rutgers.
- Walter Offutt's lay-up and the foul to tied the game in the final seconds of regulation in the Sweet Sixteen.
- Ricardo Johnson's one-handed dunk against UNC Ashville.
- Taylor Brown's overtime goal to beat Lafayette and send Ohio field hockey to the NCAA Tournament.
- Donte Foster's one-handed catch against Marshall.
- One of the most exciting dunks of the year, Lamar's Mike James' one-handed ally-oop dunk over Ricardo Johnson.
- Lavon Brazill's acrobatic touchdown catch against Marshall.
- Jeremy Johnson was a nationally ranked wrestler for most of the season.
- Lavon Brazill's one-handed 70-yard touchdown catch and run against Ball State.
- Donte Harden's first down run to extend the Bobcats' final drive against Bowling Green.
- Matt Weller's 24-yard game winning field goal against Bowling Green, crowning Ohio MAC East Champs and sending them to the MAC Championship.
- Lavon Brazill's first down, near touchdown catch on 4th and 6 with Ohio down by six in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.
- Tyler Tettleton's one-yard touchdown scramble against Utah State, setting up the Bobcats for the 24-23 win over Utah State, the first bowl win in Ohio football program history.