Teen Craigslist Murderer Faces Life In Prison

By
Associated Press

Dateline
Updated Mon, Nov 5, 2012 11:17 am

UPDATE 11:17 A.M. Sentencing has been delayed for an Ohio teenager convicted in a plot to lure men desperate for work with phony Craigslist job offers.

The judge said sentencing will be held Friday but did not explain the reason for the delay. All parties in the case are under a gag order.
 
The mother of 17-year-old Brogan Rafferty says the delay is "probably" related to a possible deal for leniency in return for her son's testimony against the alleged triggerman, Richard Beasley.
 
Three men were killed and a fourth victim was shot but survived.
 
The jury rejected the defense claim that Rafferty feared for his life if he didn't cooperate with Beasley.
 
The 53-year-old Beasley has pleaded not guilty and will be tried in January.

 

An Ohio teen is set to be sentenced Monday for his role in killing and robbing three men and trying to kill a fourth in a deadly Craigslist robbery scheme.           

Brogan Rafferty, 17, of suburban Stow, faces a maximum sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole when he is sentenced in an Akron courtroom.

Rafferty was convicted last week of murder and attempted murder.

Because he's a juvenile, he wasn't eligible for the death penalty. 

Rafferty's co-defendant, 53-year-old alleged triggerman Richard Beasley of Akron, goes on trial in January.

He could face the death penalty.         

The victims were targeted because they were older, single, out-of-work men with backgrounds that made it unlikely their disappearances would be noticed right away.

The incidences happened in Noble and Summit counties.

 

Tags: