Updated Wed, Feb 6, 2013 3:32 pm
For the first time in six years, the number of school children receiving free or reduced-price lunch has decreased.
According to the Ohio Department of Education, 44.4 percent were enrolled in the program last year.
That's a slight decrease from the 45.3 percent enrolled last year.
On a local level, Athens City School District Treasurer Matt Bunting says last school year 41 percent of the district's students were enrolled in the program.
This school year, through December, 38 percent are enrolled.
Bunting says that while that may look like they also had a decrease, it may not be the case.
The school district has seen a decrease of 90 to 100 enrolled students and that could relate to the decrease.
Bunting added that some students may not have qualified for this school year as well.
The school-lunch program is funded by the federal government.
It serves students considered economically disadvantaged based on their family income.