Updated Thu, Sep 19, 2013 4:01 pm
Fall is in the air, there’s no denying it - cooler days and even cooler nights are on the horizon. For many, it’s their favorite time of the year. Just like the change of the wardrobe that makes you bring out your sweaters and long pants, your recipes for dinner may change too.
That means it’s soup time. There are plenty great recipes out there, but here’s one that will make a great winter soup that is hearty, full of veggies and Crock Pot® friendly.
Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
• 1 Pounds mild or hot Italian sausages, casings removed
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
• 4 Cups beef or chicken stock
• 1/2 Teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
• 1/2 Teaspoons salt
• 1/4 Teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
• 7.5 Ounces can tomato sauce
• 19 Ounces can diced tomatoes, with juices
• 2 Cups sliced mushrooms
• 1 Package (10 oz.) fresh or frozen cheese-filled tortellini
• 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise, and chopped
• 1/4 Cups chopped fresh parsley
• 2 Tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
Step One Cook sausage over medium heat for 8-10 min. or until brown, stirring to break meat up.
Step Two Drain and transfer to slow cooker.
Step Three Add onion, carrots, stock, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, tomatoes and mushrooms.
Step Four Cover and cook on LOW for 6-10 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours until vegetables are tender.
Step Five Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions.
Step Six Drain and add tortellini, zucchini and parsley to slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 15-20 min longer or until heated through and zucchini is tender.
Step Seven Transfer soup to bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
Step Eight Serve with warm, crusty bread.
Recipe courtesty of crockingirls.com