Updated Thu, Oct 3, 2013 12:07 pm
A fire at a home on U.S. Route 22 near Williamsport caused heavy damage Wednesday morning, but the reaction of a passerby may have saved it from burning to the ground.
Heather Daum said was driving eastbound toward Circleville when she noticed what appeared to be fog or smoke surrounding a house at 5721 U.S. 22 West.
“As I was driving by, I thought it looked like fog at first, and once I passed by it, I started thinking it could be smoke,” she said. “I turned back around and went up to the house and beat on the front door and windows.”
The windows were hot, Daum said.
Roger Peart, chief of Southwest Pickaway Fire Department, said the fire began in the kitchen area, causing extensive damage in that area with heavy smoke damage throughout the house.
No one was home at the time of the fire, but one dog was lost in the blaze.
Southwest Pickaway Fire Department, Circleville Fire Department, Pickaway Fire Department and Pic-Fay Fire Departments responded to the fire, which remains under investigation.