Updated Thu, Aug 7, 2014 5:42 am
One-pot shake-n-bake meth labs are becoming more popular, but can prove to be dangerously explosive.
One local resident found several suspicious bottles while routinely cleaning in the yard and quickly responded by delivering the bottles to the Hocking County Sheriff’s Office.
“They had been there for about three days,” the resident noted in the report. After noticing some water in the bottles the resident deemed it suspicious and took it to the HCSO.
According to the report, the bag of components contained a methamphetamine lab.
Deputies, Logan Fire Department and Major Crimes Unit responded to the HCSO office to neutralize the vessels.
Across Ohio, these extremely dangerous labs have become the preferred method of manufacture for clandestine laboratory operations. A quick and efficient process these labs pose a high risk of flash fire and explosions. Citizens and first responders are advised not to handle these highly volatile containers.
Hocking County Sheriff Lanny North said not to touch “bottles with lids containing liquid if found.”
According to Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, those cooking meth combine ammonium nitrate from cold packs with lye, and over the counter cold medication in a plastic or glass bottle. They add highly flammable Coleman fuel and water reactive lithium metal to the container.
A highly volatile chemical reaction occurs converting the cold or allergy medication into methamphetamine. The reaction vessel is prone to catching on fire when the lithium metal from lithium batteries reacts with water causing an ignition.
This source of ignition is exposed to the fuel causing catastrophic failure of the bottle spraying flaming liquid or exploding if pressure exists in the container.
Meth lab waste is dangerous. North advised not to attempt to remove unknown or suspected toxic substances. Notify the Hocking County Sheriff’s Office of the location of these items immediately at 740-385-2131.